- TITLE: Persian Oil Industry #2, The (Mute)(1925)
- RELEASE DATE: 01/01/1925
- SYNOPSIS: An in-depth look at the oil industry in Persia, continued from Persian Oil Industry #1. This tape mainly focuses on the Abadan Refinery and road building.
- BP ASSET ID: 800543
- VIEWING RESTRICTIONS: Public
- LICENSING RESTRICTIONS: None
- PRODUCTION COMPANY: None
- COLOUR: B&W
- ALTERNATIVE LANGUAGE NOTES: None
- FORMAT: Other
- SHOTLIST: 10:00:00 - Start 00:26 - LS of Suspension bridge and Tembi pumping station gvs 00:50 - LS of tanks for separating oil and gas 01:48 - Interior of Tembi station with workers and machinery 02:25 - MS of pipelines, mules carrying pipes, laying pipeline with motor tractors, children covering pipeline with bitumastic protection 06:00 - LS of storage tanks at the Abadan Refinery, aerials of Abadan, various checks by workers and chimneys of Abadan refinery 09:35 - LS of a group of stills at Abadan and car passing in shot, and workers turning wheels and inspecting refinery and samples 11:25 - Internal shots of the filtration plant 12:00 - MS of tankers at jettys 13:43 - CU and MS of facory workers making petrol and kerosene tins for the Persian and Eastern markets, and cases also being made for the tins 16:40 - Tins being loaded onto tankers via conveyer belts 17:18 - Workers leaving Abadan at the end of the day at the sound of the whistle 18:00 - CU and MD of geologist/surveyor with assistants, riding on mules on hilly terrain 19:13 - CU of surveyor setting up plane-table and taking bearings 20:00 - Various LS of road builders in mountainous terrrain 21:15 - MS of blasting out rock and workers running away 22:35 - MS of native boats in shallow waters where larger vessels cannot go, carrying supplies and unloading, cu shots from a boat of surrounding area 25:25 - LS to MS of cars from a training school for good driving on a twisty mountain road 26:55 - MS of cars returning to base 27:35 - LS of Mishun station and Mishun Mountains in background 28:10 - Interior of the wireless (telegraph) room in Mishun 28:40 - MS pan of lorries leaving Mishun station and LS of the lorries journey through a ravine on twisty roads 29:48 - LS to MS of a camel caravan fording the Zuhra River 31:43 - Zuhra River and mountain gvs 33:20 - LS and MS of workers erecting foundation piers of a new bridge 34:25 - Pan of the road engineer's camp and cu of engineer smiling to camera with pipe in his mouth whilst on a mule 35:40 - LS of 'ancient trail to Gach Qaraghuli' which is being replaced by a steep road with a few people and their heavily packed mules passing the camera to supply workers in the distance 36:15 - End A special short edition entitled In The Land of The Shah was taken from this film. According to a BP Memo dated 26.1.40, the original film consisted of six reels, taking 1.5 hours to show. This proved too long for general purposes and so a special 3 reel edition was prepared for showing to schools, technical societies etc. In 1926 it was decided to prepare a special one reel edition for showing in public cinemas, and, as the title 'The Persian Oil Industry' would at once have branded it as an advertising film this edition was called 'In The Land of the Shah'. Copies were sent to each of the BP's Branch Managers with a request to get it shown as much as possible. The results were very successful. It was shown in some hundreds of cinemas at the cost only of printing the copies. Later on when the demand for cinema showings died down, 9.5mm copies were circulated through the Pathescope Library.