- TITLE: Oil Review No. 08 (1952)(Desert tractors, Bottled gas production and Launch of SS 'Chusan')
- RELEASE DATE: 01/01/1952
- SYNOPSIS: A 1950s newsreel about the oil industry, how we use oil, and how oil can be utilised in new ways. 'DESERT TRACTORS' - TRACTORS AND TRUCKS DESIGNED FOR MIDDLE EAST USE Before the tractor the only form of transport was the camel. Now (1951) the tractor with tracks is a new mode of transport. We see a large tractor called 'The Goliath', which levels out sand, and the Thornicroft Antar truck, an 80 ton tractor for transporting rig equipment. 'BOTTLED GAS' - BUTANE MADE AT LLANDARCY We see a man visiting with butane gas tanks, and then we see the refinery where we see the safety precautions to stop explosions and the refilling of the tanks. 'BUNKERING THE CHUSAN' - BUNKERING THE SS CHUSAN AT SOUTHAMPTON PRIOR TO ITS MAIDEN VOYAGE The 'Chusan' is moored and is being finished ready for her maiden voyage. At Hamble an oil barge is being filled with fuel oil, which in turn fills the 'Chusan'. Later we see it launch and the engineer checking the oil is burning well. It is then towed out into the Solent.
- BP ASSET ID: 801020
- VIEWING RESTRICTIONS: Public
- LICENSING RESTRICTIONS: None
- PRODUCTION COMPANY: Greenpark Productions
- COLOUR: B&W
- ALTERNATIVE LANGUAGE NOTES: None
- FORMAT: BetaSP_Small
- SHOTLIST: 10:00:00 GV land based oil well. Caption 'BP presents, Oil Review No. 8, a Greenpark production, produced by Humphrey Swingler, Associate Producer Cecilia Ococks, Editing and Direction Joe Mendoza'. 10:00:39 GVs Desert tractors with caption overlay 'Desert Tractors'. GVs Camels drinking, Kuwait Arab men on tractors, 'KUOCO 7061 W2262 Kuwait' on one vehicle. 10:01:54 GVs Bourn Ox Goliath (sp?) tractor or scraper machine. 10:02:36 GVs Thornycroft Antar and other tractors being shipped from London docks to Iraq. 10:03:10 GV British country side and a country cottage, caption overlay 'Bottled Gas'. Man carries and uses bottle of gas. 10:04:32 GVs Herndasey (sp?) Welsh refinery. Gas butane bottles being filled up and dispatched via trucks. 10:06:33 GVs 'Bunkering the Chusan' GVs The Chusan, London ship in dock in Southampton, sets sail Wellington boat in FG. 10:08:01 GVs Hamble refinery. End caption overlay 'A BP FILM'. ENDS.