- TITLE: Distant Neighbours (1955)
- RELEASE DATE: 01/01/1955
- SYNOPSIS: This narrated Eastmancolour film consists of three stories which show how smaller aircraft link the peoples of remote communities and pioneering settlements with the rest of the world. The stories are located in the Isle of Barra in the Outer Hebrides, in the frozen North-West Territory of Canada and in the desert outback of Western Australia.
- BP ASSET ID: 801127
- VIEWING RESTRICTIONS: Public
- LICENSING RESTRICTIONS: None
- PRODUCTION COMPANY: Greenpark Productions
- COLOUR: Colour
- ALTERNATIVE LANGUAGE NOTES: None
- FORMAT: BetaSP_Small
- SHOTLIST: 00:03:00 START BP Shield logo. Captions 'This is a film about aeroplanes - but not the traffic of city airports. It is dedicated to the smaller aircraft whose service links the peoples of remote communities and pioneering settlements with the rest of the world.' 'The British Petroleum Company Presents'. GVs ground control man guiding plane at airport with caption 'DISTANT NEIGHBOURS'. WS passengers approach plane. WS men bring luggage over to put on the plane. WS passengers walking away from plane. 00:04:23 WSs sand dunes on a beach. WSs rocky shoreline. WS young man (the narrator) cycling along a beach. Trav aerial shot overlooking an island with a plane flying over. GVs plane flying towards beach. 00:05:39 MSs woman on beach with radio to guide the plane. Trav shot plane landing on beach. CU of plane with propeller spinning. WSs postman taking post out of plane and putting it into van. GVs passengers get off plane. CU men taking sheepdog in crate off the plane. WS man takes dog out of crate and dog jumps up. WS people getting into car. WS man brings bike hut and gives it to narrator. WS car drives off. GVs narrator assembling bike. Man (Donald) arrives at hut and narrator welcomes him. 00:08:17 WS of island and sea with the plane leaving the island in the distance. GVs of the island with houses. GVs Donald tending to his bale of hay. WS man walking horse with woman milking cow. CU man and horse. Postman arrives in car and gives post to man with horse. Man reads letter leaning against haystack. 00:10:14 The letter is narrated by the writer. WSs countryside under snow. GVs two men prospecting in snow. The men rest in their tent and one man studies a rock. GVs of countryside in snow. WS one man supporting the other (the narrator of the letter) who has broken his leg and takes him back to the tent. GVs the man looking after him. GVs the healthy man goes looking for help. 00:14:47 A wagon train travels along the man's route. WS the man shoots his gun to get the attention of the men on the train. The train stops and the man runs down to meet the two men. 00:16:07 CU of sign 'Canadian Pacific Airlines'. WSs plane landing in snow. Rescuers board air ambulance to help the man. CUs of the plane. WSs the plane taking off and flying. GVs of the men in the cockpit. Trav aerial shot over countryside under snow. WS the plane flies over the tent where the injured man is lying. CU the plane lands and the men get out. The injured man crawls to the entrance and the men arrive at the tent. CU the propeller spinning. WS the plane takes off. 00:19:14 (Another narrator reads a new letter). GVs of Australian farm. WSs horses in pens. MLSs little boy swinging stockwhip. Another little boy sitting on fence watching with an Aboriginal boy. WS two Aboriginal men sitting on the ground watching. GVs of man bronco busting and the boys watching. WS pick up truck approaches farm, two boys run towards it and get on the back. Truck drives to reservoir and the the boys and their dad (the writer of the letter) get out of the truck and approach it. WS windmill in the middle of the outback. MLS man turns wheel of the windmill. WSs aerial view of plane flying in the outback. GVs of the pilot and passenger in the plane. View of land from plane. Plane lands at farm. Little boys run up to plane and welcome the two men who get out to deliver post. 00:23:58 MLS man filling plane with fuel. MS little boy turning handle of fuel pump. The man gets into the plane and the little boy watches as it takes off, throwing up dust as it leaves. 00:25:35 WS little boy runs over to pet kangaroo and puts him in his box. HA WS of a man and the other little boy riding on horseback. The boy helps to round up bulls. 00:27:44 CU plane with propeller spinning before it takes off, little boy is looking out of window. 2S the pilot and the little boy in the plane. WS the plane takes off. 00:28:25 WS seashore. WS house next to country lane, original narrator cycles up to the house to meet his friend who lives there. 2S the men chat as they make their way along the road. WS seashore. WS narrator and friend get into rowing boat. GVs the two men sail off. 00;29:57 Dam under construction. Plane lands in field where sheep are being herded. Surveyor gets out of plane to meet the foreman. Plane flies off again. 00:31:37 WS horses walking across beach. WS narrator cycles across beach. GVs passengers getting onto plane on beach. CU propellers spinning. Trav WS across beach as plane takes off. CU of BP flag. WS plane flies away. WS pan across shoreline with caption 'A Greenpark Production' and credits. BP shield logo. 00:34:26 END.