- TITLE: The Energy Picture (1959)
- RELEASE DATE: 01/01/1959
- SYNOPSIS: A Light-hearted 1959 cartoon, about the part the oil industry plays in meeting the world's demand for energy.
- BP ASSET ID: 801099
- VIEWING RESTRICTIONS: Public
- LICENSING RESTRICTIONS: None
- PRODUCTION COMPANY: Halas & Batchelor
- COLOUR: Colour
- ALTERNATIVE LANGUAGE NOTES: None
- FORMAT: BetaSP_Small
- SHOTLIST: 10:00:00 Begins, with business man attempting to jet off to the moon. 10:01:15 Stylised prehistoric man searching fruitlessly for sources of energy. 10:02:08 Discovering horse power. 10:02:36 Harnessing wind power. 10:02:54 Meeting large dinosaur who attempts unsuccessfully to eat him. Man took a long time to find sources of energy ; firstly the horse, water, wind and fire, coal and the steam engine. Then the internal combustion engine followed (comparatively) soon afterwards - by petroleum. 10:03:09 Canoeing downriver on a log. 10:03:19 Prehistoric man sitting bedraggled on the shore and accidentally discovering fire. 10:03:34 Army man smoking a pipe and brewing some tea. 10:03:55 Kettle explodes and we are in the Industrial Revolution; steam train with lots of top-hatted passengers. 10:04:22 Coal power, which 'altered the face of the land' - Lowry-like buildings with billowing smoke. 10:04:35 The sea with boat and viaduct. 10:04:42 Paddle boat sailing past seaside town. 10:04:56 Gas lamp. 10:05:08 Paraffin oil. 10:05:21 First motor car. 10:05:45 Today's use of oil: man on motorbike, and new type train, which proceeds to overtake a steam train. 10:06:40 Refinery, chemical plant and lab (train going past in background). 10:07:03 Aeroplane. 10:07:16 Rainforest with derricks. 10:07:34 Plane lands in desert, cars drives off. 10:08:03 Explorer/surveyor heads to the mountains. 10:08:54 'Grows' derrick out of his suitcase; night falls and he packs it up again. 10:09:24 Finding oil in the USSR, with petrol station attendant. 10:09:38 Oil in the USA, with bemused petrol attendant. 10:10:28 Importing oil, with diagrams of it being pumped up from underground. 10:10:55 Earth from space and zoom in on rainforest, man driving through it and surveying for oil. 10:11:46 The Middle East, and tanker transporting oil. 10:12:15 Pipeline, with camels and palm trees. 10:12:50 Tanker. 10:13:27 Businessman in spaceship again. 10:14:03 Men shaking hands over table. 10:14:39 Aeroplane, dropping off parachute of cash. 10:15:45 Lots of derricks springing up in the desert from nowhere. 10:16:12 End.