Hovercraft in the Canadian Arctic
Hovercraft in the Canadian Arctic
- Release Date: 1st January 1966
- Asset ID: 802053
- Synopsis: A film about an extreme weather conditions test of the SRN-5 Hovercraft at the end of 1966 in the Northwest Territories.
- Shotlist: 10:00:00 Opening title over pan R on snow landscape, 10:00:09 Wind blows towards camera on snow, pan R across snow. Wind on snow, different shot. Narrator explains goals of test. 10:00:27 Black and orange hovercraft moving R slowly through snow - lots of sprayed snow. WS three military ships frozen in ice, small boat frozen alongside. 10:00:53 From L to R, 7 dog team pull sled, two people on snowmobile stop. Bombardier snow vehicle in action, bulldozer clearing snow for Caterpillar trail. 10:01:16 Helicopter with snow pontoons taking off. 10:01:23 WS hovercraft, village of Tuktoyaktuk behind as mothers and children watch. Men waiting, pan to craft. CU man in cold, no hat, man measuring while static hovering. Reports back. Men add weight. CA children in huge sunglasses and furry hoods. Measuring again. Another child. 10:02:27 Craft lifts up, spectators smile, craft moves. R to L during speed trial, aerials of speed trial. Interior of hovercraft cockpit. Aerial of 180 degree turn. CA spectators. Craft slows, sinks, crew exit. 10:03:23 MCU captain observing, more weight added. Spectators grin, speed trial again. Another aerial. Blue flag, two men mark snow with a wheel. Photographers wait by red flags, waiting. Craft comes L to R, goes 180 degrees and slides to a stop. Man measures with wheel, general recording. 10:04:55 Craft comes up a slope, again. Different slopes. Goes down. Up and down, measuring. 10:05:48 Stunning wide aerial of tundra, craft in middle. Closer shot of craft. On the ground, different angles, turning. CA CU driver, repeats. Low aerials. Another wide aerial. 10:07:03 CU ice fishing in an Inuit village, fishing woman with huge fur hood and sunglasses. Three children near tent, craft passes behind tent with dog team in front. CU dog rolling. 10:07:33 Craft turns, CU Inuit child, hovercraft sinks. Dog stands. Hovercraft parked as it snows. CU mechanic, wiping snow, maintenance GVs. Craft starts moving to test fog conditions. 10:08:47 Radar within craft, navigation, turning in poor visibility. Snowy ridge, craft crosses L to R with a slight jump. Recording. Craft shoots over other ridges. Pan of hole in hull, craft enters hangar. 10:10:33 Aerial of hovercraft on water, climbs onto ice and snow, low aerial, wide aerial of speeding craft, low aerial of craft on rough breaking ice. CU of rough ice blurring by. 10:12:05 Shaky navigator, craft comes towards camera over rough ice, Aerial circles craft in river bend without ice. Aerial circles craft on even more melted ice, then open water. MCU driver and captain. 10:13:05 Extreme wide aerial of craft on Mackenzie River, clouds reflected, crowds at Norman Wells watch. Craft arrives as man signals, crowd watches, craft pulls in towards camera, sinks. 10:13:43 Crowds, mostly children, hurry to the L, man speaks to crowd, reaction shots. Craft starts up and moves off. Reaction, aerial of craft moving. 10:14:05 End titles, BP Shield.
- Production Company: None
- Licensing Restrictions: None
- Viewing Restrictions: Public
- Format: Digibeta_Small
- Alternative Language Notes: None