- Release Date: 1st January 1955
- Asset ID: 802048
- Synopsis: A film of an apprentice's life on board the BP Tanker, British Adventure, and his training for the job on land.
- Shotlist: 10:00:00 Opening titles. 10:00:28 Camera moves over coastline, waves crashing on rocks montage, pan up to horizon. Looking out to sea, sun through clouds. 10:01:17 Waves at sea, low angle pan up of tanker in dry dock, giant propeller and along hull. MS mechanic, studying at home. Low angle in dry dock, navigational charts. 10:01:58 King Edward VII Nautical College montage in classrooms with students and teachers. Engineering workshop. Various charts and activities, etc. Principal speaks to graduating students, pan along students. MLS principal. 10:03:51 Tanker 'British Adventure' launches, from low angle and from high. Chains dragging behind. Student receives hat and uniform, says goodbye to parents while train arrives, boards. From train down platform waving goodbye. 10:05:15 Inside train compartment, passing scenery. Ocean waves. Over the shoulder letter writing, getting off the train, by the dock, boarding small vessel. Approaching the Adventure. Steep boarding. 10:07:03 Up and down stairs, meeting senior officers. In the cabin, unpacking. Low angle of chatting. 10:07:59 Adventure in motion, walking about deck. Deck log book, the ocean waves, getting into bed in the cabin. More waves. Fade. 10:09:11 The roiling wake, staining the bridge deck, whistle goes, long shot men running along deck. Lined up with life jackets, lifeboat lowered, getting into the lifeboat. 10:10:27 Seagulls through the rigging. Control panel, Morse code transcription, Map graphic, ocean waves starting to get higher, whitecaps. 10:11:15 Heavy weather, ship is heaving, water floods onto deck. After a while, sea calms. Fade. 10:12:14 Polishing brass, rock in bay of Biscay. Gull. Rock of Gibraltar. Hoisting flags, two look at other side of Gibraltar. Map graphic. 10:13:09 White wake, on deck painting anchor chains. Splicing ropes, coiling large ropes on deck. Painting a bell, using a sextant and an Azimuth Mirror. 10:14:49 From the deck, looking down at the water. Engine rooms and control panels, throwing a switch. In the kitchen, taking loaves of bread out, general cooking, carving, ladling. 10:16:19 Eating in uniform at table GVs. Relaxing laughing and smoking afterwards. 10:17:13 Spreading awnings on deck. Playing cricket on deck, and board games. Looking out at the sunset. Sextant. Fade. 10:18:12 On board in harbour of Port Said, other ships pass. Hoisting flag. Writing letter. Going through the Suez Canal camera facing behind. On deck chatting, going through the canal. 10:19:28 Charting on maps, studying. Drop anchor - jumping overboard and swimming. Watching from deck. Anchor rises, map graphic. Churning water. 10:20:48 Painting railings. Ocean waves, hanging laundry and trying to steal a hat on deck. Four lads in shorts stand around a seated officer with model ships. Churning wake. 10:21:49 Sewing canvas covers, watching other ships from deck. A lighthouse on Abu-Ail from deck. Hosing down the decks, more hijinks with the hat and the hoses.
- Production Company: None
- Licensing Restrictions: None
- Viewing Restrictions: Public
- Format: BetaSP_Small
- Alternative Language Notes: None