800 Mile Voyage
800 Mile Voyage
- Release Date: 1st January 1963
- Asset ID: 802055
- Synopsis: A solid Denny D2-002 hovercraft takes an 800 mile journey from Glasgow upon Clyde to London upon Thames.
- Shotlist: 10:00:00 Scottish loch, opening title 10:00:15 Fade to back of hovercraft, hovercraft in Dumbarton harbour, POV from the bridge to front, passing Cloch lighthouse, line of boys along a stone wall, the captain looks over charts (shaky), MS captain (shaky). 10:01:03 Fade to map of Scotland showing route down to London. Hovercraft passing through Kyles of Bute, CA turning the steering wheel. Group on island rock watches. 10:02:28 Hovercraft backs into the Crinan canal at Ardrishaig as crowds watch alongside, working the lock and coming through. Hovercraft goes through very narrow part of canal. 10:03:11 Hovercraft exits canal into open water, captain on bridge chats to seaman, MS controls, Hovercraft moving quickly with spray coming towards camera, passes. 10:03:39 In the canteen on board, captain enters. Steward heats water on small stove, captain sits and eats soup. Eating, pouring and drinking tea. 10:04:51 Rigging of an wooden masted ship at Oban, hovercraft passes, CA controls, throwing rope as crowd watches, refuelling shots. Lone man with camera takes photo as hovercraft churns along open water. 10:05:51 On the bridge, captain takes over, passing Castle Stalker, snowy Ben Nevis from the water, the Caledonian Canal locks at Neptune's staircase, crowds watch, the lock workings, Ben Nevis behind. 10:06:52 Sunset along the canal, hovercraft moored. WS hovercraft moving L to R along canal, spectators. Dog on shed roof watches, more spectators. 10:07:51 From the top of the hovercraft, to the front and behind. Engineer with Caterpillar motor checking oil, back to distant shot of hovercraft R to L. Fort Augustus to Loch Ness, still moving through. 10:08:49 CU captain, passing crowded ferry on L. Larger ships in open sea, POV from bridge. Captain at helm as camera rises and falls, hovercraft moving through open sea other ships in distance. CA MLS captain at helm from outside. 10:09:43 High angle hovercraft goes to Festival pier by Charing Cross bridge, crew in suits walk along pier, greeted by Guild of Watermen and mayor of London Sir Ralph Perring, press photographers, Sir Christopher Cockerell inventor of the original hovercraft. Barrel presented to mayor. 10:10:20 Prince Philip enters hovercraft and has tour of bridge. 10:10:33 Hover Craft sign, queue for tickets and buying a ticket. Mother and tow children board, CA spectators. CU Hovercraft moving in water, passengers looking out the window. 10:11:00 Hovercraft passes L to R Houses of Parliament, goes under Waterloo bridge. From inside looking out, WS aerial going under Charing Cross bridge towards camera. 10:11:40 End credits, with BP Shield.
- Production Company: None
- Licensing Restrictions: None
- Viewing Restrictions: Public
- Format: Digibeta_Small
- Alternative Language Notes: None