- TITLE: Dawn Of An Industry (1965)
- RELEASE DATE: 01/01/1965
- SYNOPSIS: The 'dawn' refers to the most exciting and important transport development since the war - the hovercraft. Though research into them still continues, hovercraft are an accepted means of transport.
- BP ASSET ID: 802380
- VIEWING RESTRICTIONS: Public
- LICENSING RESTRICTIONS: None
- PRODUCTION COMPANY: A Derek Stewart Production
- COLOUR: Colour
- ALTERNATIVE LANGUAGE NOTES: None
- FORMAT: BetaSP_Small
- SHOTLIST: 00:03:04 XLS Trav hovercraft over broken icy surface. GVs of hovercraft continue Caption overlay 'THE DAWN OF AN INDUSTRY' 'The Progress of the British Hovercraft' 'A DEREK STEWART PRODUCTION TECHNICLOR'. VO talks about how hovercraft is opening parts of the world that had previously remained in accessible. 00:04:01 Dissolve to LS white Vauxhall (HC Firenza) car pulls up at Gosport Hovercraft port or terminal. Male commuter (40s) in black suit, boler hat gets out, VO from man talking about his job and how he commutes via hovercraft. GVs man paying for ticket, waiting and boarding with several other commuters onto the Hovercraft that is travelling to Ryde, Isle of Wight. 00:05:54 Trav XLS Aerial (Helicopter) hovercraft travelling. GVs Int. and Ext. of Hovercraft. 00:07:03 Hovercraft in Ryde port, customers exit and commuter VO re-commences. 00:07:22 CU Sign 'The Next Trip To Southsea' Clock by sign. GVs customers getting on board hovercraft. 00:07:37 LS two school children (10-12) board bus. 00:07:50 XLS Hovercraft departs. 00:07:59 Animation showing basics off hovercraft technology. 00:09:39 GVs Hovercraft (CC2, Italian flag visible on rudder). Hovering one foot over runway. 00:10:37 Animation off Rigid sidewalls to contain the cushion part of hovercraft. 00:11:06 GVs Hovercraft (HD1) on water (Hovercraft Development Limited' on hull of craft). 00:11:32 Animation about skirts part of hovercraft. 00:11:57 Hovercraft SR55 hovers over tarmac into water. GVs HD1 follow. 00:13:58 Int. Computer room with two operators sat by machine. Sir Christopher Cockrell looking at machine and testing model hovercraft, testing thrust and drag. 00:15:10 Ext. LA Man panning using movie camera off model hovercraft over water and grass. 00:15:43 LA CU Hovercraft (CC4 Britten Norman Ltd.) over small shrubs. A Full scale trial and test of machine. GVs off Ext. and Int. 00:27:39 GVs hovercraft layered with ice. CUs hovercraft engine. 00:18:19 LS XLS Trav Aerial of hovercraft over Clyde river (Clyde Hover Ferries on craft). Int. cabin. 00:18:52 LS 'Hoverlloyd' craft leaving shore into sea. 00:19:25 The Queen (wearing pink coat) and Prince Philip exiting hovercraft, both happy and delighted. Could be Arhus, Denmark. 00:19:32 GV Arhus Hoverport pan to Hover exiting port. 00:20:10 V8O3 Hovercraft leaving Isle of Wight on beach location destined for Long Island USA. 00:20:28 Aerial Trav of SRN3 (IHTU) Hovercraft. 00:20:47 SRN5 Hovercraft GVs in Far east with The British Forces. 00:21:55 GVs Hovercraft in Middle East. 00:2:28 Int. British hovercraft research lab. Engineers mulling over blueprints. 00:22:57 Lab CU model hovercraft producing clear jets off air. Dissolve to artist impressions off a hover port in the (then) predicted future. 00:24:16 CU Woman (mid 20s) making on board announcement on 'Hovertrain Service' GVs off train continue Int. and Ext. 00:25:26 6 seater cc5 hovercraft rescuing overboard sailor. 00:26:02 GVs nighttime cc5 hovercraft. Int. off captain and passengers. 00:26:47 HA Trav hovercraft some way into journey over water could be English Channel. End credits.