- TITLE: As Old As The Hills (Animation) (1950)
- RELEASE DATE: 01/01/1950
- SYNOPSIS: Everyone knows that petroleum comes out of the earth, but the question is how did it get there, and what is it made of? The answer to these questions are given simply and accurately in this animated programme. The programme shows how the creatures which inhabited the world about a hundred million years ago lived and died, and how their bones, and those of countless minute sea organisms, collected on the sea bottom where they were covered with mud. The mud, brought down from rivers, became deeper and slowly hardened into rock. The decayed organisms entombed in the rock were in time chemically altered into minute blobs of oil and gas. We see how the oil so formed was contained by a cap of impervious rock, and how great movements of the earth's crust folded this rock into domes beneath which the oil tends to accumulate. This film shared First Prize at the Venice Film Festival, 1950.
- BP ASSET ID: 802397
- VIEWING RESTRICTIONS: Public
- LICENSING RESTRICTIONS: None
- PRODUCTION COMPANY: Halas & Batchelor
- COLOUR: Colour
- ALTERNATIVE LANGUAGE NOTES: None
- FORMAT: BetaSP_Small
- SHOTLIST: 10:00:00 Spinning gold 3D BP Shield logo. 10:00:14 Animation commences. Caption 'BRITISH PETROLEUM COMPANY presents, AS OLD AS THE HILLS THE BIRTH OF AN OILFIELD IN SOUTH WEST PERSIA, A FILM BASED ON MATERIAL SUPPLIED BY FIELDS AND GEOLOGICAL DEPARTMENT, a HBC, BY TECHNI , STORY AND DIRECTION BY ALLAN CRICK, ANIMATION DIRECTION BOB PRIVETT, MUSIC COMPOSED BY MATYAS SIBER, PRODUCTION JOHN HALAS. 10:00:47 Spinning globe, spindle gets lubricated with oil cylinder. VO commences and talks about how everyday, we use oil and where did it originally come from. 10:01:17 GVs cars, ships, airplanes being filled with petrol (gas). Animation continues detailing the origins of oil from the Dinosaur era to the then modern era. 10:10:51 ENDS.