- TITLE: Acetic Acid Achievement (1966)
- RELEASE DATE: 01/01/1966
- SYNOPSIS: The story of the manufacture of acetic acid since ancient times and includes an animated diagram showing how, in the BP process, the hydrocarbon molecules are broken down by heat and pressure into acetic acid and smaller quantities of other acids. Some details of the plant are also given, and the programme ends with a chart of the principle outlets for acetic acid, which is used, directly or indirectly, in almost every branch of industry. Although made in the 1960s, this programme still provides valuable information for schools.
- BP ASSET ID: 802385
- VIEWING RESTRICTIONS: Public
- LICENSING RESTRICTIONS: None
- PRODUCTION COMPANY: BP Chemicals Group
- COLOUR: Colour
- ALTERNATIVE LANGUAGE NOTES: None
- FORMAT: BetaSP_Small
- SHOTLIST: 00:03:00 LS Cooling Tower, Southend in The Humber at dusk or dawn in silhouette caption overlay 'Acetic Acid Achievement'. 00:03:10 Pan and scan off Ancient Egyptian drawings. VO commences and talks about Acid from wine being used as a condiment in Ancient Egypt. Animations continue with VO continuing on embalming and obtaining charcoal from this ancient method. 00:03:54 Animation showing 17th century kilns. CU drawing off Johann Rudolf Glauber CA 'The Works of Highly Experienced and famous John Rudolph Glauber' book. 00:04:22 Animation showing a 19th century wood distillation and then how this has changed up to the 1960s. 00:06:52 GVs Int. Epsom Research Laboratory. 00:07:22 GVs Int. Acetic Test Plant Tunbridge. 00:07:13 CU DF drawings and blue prints. (DF the then code name for the full Acetic plant). 00:07:18 VO 'The plant was erected near Salt End Chemical Factory near Hull' GVs off this plant from 1962 continue. 00:08:18 Int. Chemical Plant men at desks and stood up attending to gauges, 180˚ pan. CA alarm system. 00:08:46 LS Ext. Analytical laboratory in Hull. GVs Int. of laboratory continue with VO detailing what the scientist is doing. 00:09:33 Pan L to R Cooling Tower Southend in The Humber then DF2 plant. Diagram off plant processes continues. 00:10:28 Salt End Cooling plant in silhouette. End credits overlay 'Diagrams by WANSBOROUGH ANIMATION' 'Camera WALTER GARTON' Direction 'GERALD SHARP' 'BP CHEMICALS GROUP' ENDS.