- TITLE: The Right Line (1961)
- RELEASE DATE: 01/01/1961
- SYNOPSIS: A trade test film. The film opens with the preparations for the start of the 1960 German Moto Grand Prix at Solitude. Also contains footage from Scotland.
- BP ASSET ID: 802368
- VIEWING RESTRICTIONS: Public
- LICENSING RESTRICTIONS: Please note that this film may include footage and/or music sourced from multiple rights holders. For information on re-use of content in a new production, please contact BPVL@bp.com
- PRODUCTION COMPANY: RHR Productions
- COLOUR: Colour
- ALTERNATIVE LANGUAGE NOTES: None
- FORMAT: BetaSP_Small
- SHOTLIST: 00:01:31 XLS Green field. Caption overlay 'THE RIGHT LINE A BP FILM AN INTRODUCTON TO MOTOR CYCLE SPORT. Pan L to R Motor bike XCU on bike and BCU drivers head (Motor bike SFX throughout). Caption (s) remain on screen 'AN RHR PRODUCTION IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE FILM PRODUCTION GUILD' 00:02:04 LS Pan L to R Track being prepared for race. No drivers, minimal spectators, man sweeps track, Tanoy (public address system) in German. 00:02:13 VO commences, Man pushes red motor cycle. CUT to LS spectators 'BOSCH' Solitude German Grand Prix (sp?). CUT To MS to CU Man pushing bike 'Fahrerlager 100m' sign in BG, a large mount of people behind Man pushing bike. Arrives at BP 'Tankdienst' cabin structure with. GVs off race day continue. 00;02:37 2S with crew member Gary Hocking on 101 bike, New Zealander John Hempelman on MZ 2 stroke, Japans Takahatchi Honda 1st, Jim Redmen on Honda. Shots off crowd, VO 'perhaps you too will want to become the Hawkins off tomorrow. GVs off bikes on grid continue. 00:03:35 XLS Pan L to R Scottish Six Days Trial organised by Edinburgh and District Motor Club. 00:03:39 MS and CUs Bike rides up on platform, 3 to 4 men attend to (painting) the wheels of motor bike. VO 'Jeff Dukes Sammy Malone Brankeston. Dissolve to HA LS 100 or so bikes stationary. CUT to man writing on score card. VO 'Jack Leslie ex road racer and trial rider'. Dissolve to XLS Highland 'Glenigan' (sp?) LS Bike up dirt track or hill or verge. 00:04:33 LS to CU Roy Petlo (sp?) on bike with 20 RUE 923 up rock verge. 00:04:46 MS to CU Jill Savage struggles up verge, shot reverse off crowd (mostly male) reaction to Jill Savage. 00:05:00 Pan L to R HA Tommy McNabb up pure rock verge. GVs Bikes up pure rock verge continue (mostly falling off), bikers shown are Peter Guerney, Peter Daly, Dan O'Witton, Harry Hawk, Old Uncle Tom Codley, Gordon Blakely, 00:05:52 LS to CU Pan L to R Scrambling motor bike. 00:05:57 XLS Pan R to L Zoom out. Off Grand Prix VO 'British Moto Cross Grand Prix Hawkston Park featuring worlds greatest rough riders' 00:06:03 2S MS GVs Bikers on Nikes getting ready for race, facing camera. Bikers are Stan Longdon, Lars Goodstafon (sp?) Swedish duo on Monarch bikes, John Rickman, British on Petice (sp?), Reme Julienne (sp?) French (unknown bike). CA off CUs off some of the 25 stars from 7 European countries. GVs off crowd continue. 00:06:22 Very HA XLS to LS slow zoom in off Race circuit and crowd, bikes slowly move up toward start line. 00:06:34 Pan R to L Bikes hurtling forward from start line. GVs off bikes around circuit. VO 'Matice bikes, Stan Longdan, Bill Neilson' 00:08:49 LS 3-4 bikes heavily stuck in dirt mayhem on track. 00:09:15 GVs Bill Nielson (Swedish Sweden) winning ride. 00:09:58 Checkered flag race. 00:10:11 Dissolve to CU sign 'Competitors Paddock (map of circuit) 'CADWELL PARK RACING CIRCUIT' 00:10:15 GVs bikes moving up to grid. MLS Austin Munks (Leverton Boston Lincs.) lent up by blue van. 00:10:30 GV Start of race. CU race starter (man in 60s) drops flag. VO 'THERE OFF' 00:10:44 GVs off race. VO 'Cadwell, 00:11:46 Race start man drops flag end of race. 00:11:47 2S LA Int. Garage two people by bikes. Bob McIntyre and assistant Joe Potts, one man walks out of shot to knee down by bike and tinker or clean bike. Flin Fanan (sp?) CA CU Bike parts being touched by Flin. Man turning large gauge. Revving engine. CU RPM gauge. Engineers ticking sheet off 'cost sheet' 00:13:32 Dissolve to CU Bo Putting helmet on Ext. by race track. CUT Pan R to L LS Bob walking to bike by engineer. GVs putting gloves on, checking bike. 00:13:52 Bob runs off and takes off on bike. POV from back of bike BCU behind Bob on bike. VO details what corners he is taking. CA BCU Side off Bobs head whilst riding bike. CA MLS static off Bob around corner. 'Maxim Top, Nickelbrook, Druids, Footbridge, Lodge circuit names, (Brands visible en route Dunlop, Esso Extra, FNA or EMA petrol, Lucas, Ferodo, BP Super Plus, Castrol, Daily Express, Golden, ) 00:16:13 POV Bobs' Helmet mph gauge and road. 00:17:54 Practice lap ends, LS Bob coming towards trackside to be greeted by Flin. 00:18:05 CU Bob taking glasses off. 00:18:08 Dissolve to Isle of Man, TT Race, Bob with engineer. VO 'It's Wednesday June 15th 1960'. GVs bikes rolling up to start line and taking off. VO details mix of racers names and corner names or landmarks attributed to track. John Surtan (sp?), Quarter Bridge and Balacrane, Max, John Hartle, Derek Minton Norton, Max Aja, Bob Brown or Browne, Ramsay, Hartland, Hillbury, Surtey, Cadwell, Brandon, John Hartall, Max past the Waterworks, John Lewis, Eddie or Eddy Crooks or Krooks, Camber, John Serteys, Hartnall, Ramsay Hairpin. 00:21:54 End of race, Hartnall wins. 00:21:59 Dissolve to LS precession coming towards camera with bikes, all wearing light blue overalls. GVs Groups of bikers and crew members having photo taken by press. 00:22:23 Germany, Stuttgart Solitude, Grand Prix 1960. LS bikes and crowd on track. Tagahashi, Hocking, Templemen or Templeman, all in MS on bikes on grid. 00:22:28 XLS Bikes on grid, Cheqered flag down. Pan L to R and GVs off race with VO detailing riders' names and track landmarks. Terry Hawkings or Terry Hockings, Flemseck, Steinbachsee, Vialli, Sandwerk, Callo, Gary, Hocking, Hempleman, Terry, Dale, MVT Manager, Dale, Whobearey (sp?), Carlo. 00:26:29 End of race, MS German Winner (Gary Hocking) with gold winners doughnut around neck. GVs of Gary continue and crowd. 00:27:12 End credits red frame. Produced by Ronald H. Riley, Directed by David Cobham & Noel Cunningham Reid, Directory of photography Leon Bijou, Scrpt, Normal Sharpe, Editors, Michael Barden, Peter Heffron, Commentator Graham Walker, Sound, Ron Abbott, Westrex sound system. Dissolve to BP Logo graphic. 00:27:21 END OF TAPE.