- Release Date: 1st January 1978
- Asset ID: 802304
- Synopsis: The sea covers almost 3/4 of our globe, yet for centuries it was seen merely as gaps between land, to be crossed with little interest in what lay beneath. Today, when man is probing the continental shelves and beyond, seeking oil and other minerals, there is growing concern for the health and wealth of the sea. This BAFTA-nominated film explains how the sea influences our climate, and considers the growing conflicts between industry, recreation and coastal traffic which are pressing upon our crowded shores. It studies the fishing industry and sea-farming, which could provide a partial answer to the world's food shortage, and examines the problem of pollution which is gradually turning parts of the sea into a cesspool. PLANET WATER is both an important and timely programme, for it is today that the sea's role in relation to man's future is being decided.
- Shotlist: This BAFTA-nominated film explains how the sea influences our climate, and considers the growing conflicts between industry, recreation and coastal traffic which are pressing upon our crowded shores. It studies the fishing industry and sea-farming, which could provide a partial answer to the world's food shortage, and examines the problem of pollution which is gradually turning parts of the sea into a cesspool. 10:00:00 START 10:01:00 GVs of sea. Orange sky at sunrise with clouds floating by. Cloud over mountains. Palm tree in storm. River joining sea. Rain forest. 10:02:53 Waterfall. View of sea from forest. 10:03:28 Oriental woman wearing white kimono and hat performing ritual in sea.. Boats with flags moored on the shoreline. 10:04:13 People preparing to dive in the sea from a boat. Woman and children in the sea. 10:04:52 Sea, mountains. High rise buildings near sea and mountains. Buildings, construction work in FG. 10:05:28 Boats on harbour, refinery. Agricultural workers. 10:05:59 Food being carried off boat in harbour by crane. WS sea. Underwater shots. 10:06:32 Trees and plants. Underwater shots. Trav shot across lovely blue sea. Underwater trav shot of fish. 10:08:09 fish caught in net, being prepared at market. Sea food on stalls. Man axing fish at market. Fish on conveyor belt being canned. 10:10:47 Pond crowded with fish. Fish food being thrown into water at fish farm. 10:11:40 Fisherman hauling in net of fish and returning them to sea. Cultured pearls. 10:12:15 Camera pans across shellfish. Man pulling racks of shellfish from water. 10:13:23 Shellfish in FG with industrial cylinder in BG. Men building ship at yard. HA shot of train and traffic next to sea. 10:13:58 Trav aerial shots of high rise blocks next beach and sea. GVs of rubbish in sea. Waste on shore. Trav aerial shot of oil spill at sea. Waste coming out of pipe into sea. GVs of shoreline. 10:16:13 Underwater shot with fish and divers. 10:17:00 GVs people in the sea, oil platforms. Trav aerial shot overlooking tug boats transporting jacket. 10:17:54 Divers checking construction and welding. 10:18:26 GVs of platform. 10:18:53 Scientist studying underwater specimens in laboratory. Oceanographers looking at photos of the earth’s formation underwater. 10:19:50 Scientist putting archive of underwater specimens back into its case. 10:20:41 Crowds of people shot through fish tank. Dolphin trainer with dolphins and whales. 10:21:26 Whale being dragged out of the water by chain. Whale being cut open and meat cut up intercut with whales jumping out of pool. 10:22:01 GVs of sea and underwater. Village next to sea. Shanty town, high rise flats. 10:23:01 Fishing boats, high rise buildings. Man pulling rack of shellfish out of water. WS of racks of shellfish on sea. People on beach with yachts on shoreline, oil platform. Aerial shot of rig in sea at sunset or sunrise. Hands feeling cultured pearls. CU of pearl. 10:24:31 END.
- Production Company: None
- Licensing Restrictions: None
- Viewing Restrictions: Public
- Format: BetaSP_Small
- Alternative Language Notes: None