- TITLE: Fair Wear and Tear (1981)
- RELEASE DATE: 01/01/1981
- SYNOPSIS: The production platforms of BP's Forties Field stands in one of the harshest environments in the world - the North Sea. Their upkeep and maintenance is a constant challenge. This programme shows how that challenge is met by foresight, planning and engineering skills of the highest order. It illustrates the role of the maintenance engineer and the complex nature of this work.
- BP ASSET ID: 802297
- VIEWING RESTRICTIONS: Public
- LICENSING RESTRICTIONS: None
- PRODUCTION COMPANY: None
- COLOUR: Colour
- ALTERNATIVE LANGUAGE NOTES: None
- FORMAT: BetaSP_Small
- SHOTLIST: 04:30:36 Rough sea with platform on horizon with caption 'Fair Wear and Tear'. CU of platform. MS man in red jacket talks to camera. Platform workers eating in the canteen. Men playing pool. CU view from within platform legs. HA view of legs in sea. Int. WS men looking at corrosion of submerged steel on a tv monitor. CUs of the steel intercut with shots of the individual men. 04:32:07 Underwater shot of diver checking steel and scraping off marine growth. MLS man talking to camera with view of platform legs. CU of wet platform floor being prodded. CU of man digging up a piece of the platform which is caking due to the salt. CU of legs in sea, camera pans in to three men on scaffolding. LA of worker spraying platform. CU of platform legs, camera pans up to two men on scaffolding. Worker spraying and painting platform. Men walking across steel support. GVs of men working. Man opens cupboard door. CU of man walking with tools in his pocket. Int. MCU intvw. man in overalls and hardhat. Man in office with communications system, camera pans to man talking to camera. 04:34:40 WS platform at sea. On shore support workers in office in Dyce, Aberdeen. CAs - men at drawing board. CU of plan. GVs of men in discussion. Men on phone intercut with CU of corroded blade. 04:37:56 Man examining monitor at research establishment in Sunbury on Thames. Woman doing an x-ray on specimens of corroded blade. Two men examining monitor. 04:38:33 CU of man holding pump seal, camera pans back to MS three men at a table in discussion. CAs to men and machines in lab. MS the men examining the pump seal. Three men in discussion with pump seals on table. Men examine a graph. 04:40:13 Three men pushing a pig launcher into the main pipeline. CU of valve. Two men in discussion about valve with model on the table. Four men walking through factory with valves. 04:41:29 Woman filing in an office. People preparing for shutdown in an office. Three men in discussion around a table. 04:42:04 WS men selecting hardware from shelves at the depot in Dundee. Men packing parts and labelling crates. Shots of platform workers at airport heading for Forties. WS of men changing into overalls. WS helicopter taking off. WS of helicopter landing on platform and men disembarking. WS of men crossing bridge to platform. GVs of equipment to be installed and men working. HA of men on scaffolding. Men in control rooms on phone to each other with CAs of satellites. 04:44:13 CU of yellow shutdown button being pressed. M.O.L Panel Yellow Shutdown button flashes. CUs of control buttons flashing. Ext. WS of Forties Crude gas separation unit. Men in control room at Kinneil. WS of pumps at Cruden Bay. MS man in control room at Cruden Bay with two man behind. Control lights flashing. Two men in control room. Man in Charlie control room with lights flashing in BG. CU of gauges. LS shot of Forties. HA shot of Forties. Men strip down pumps and change valves. 04:46:08 CU of men changing the slew ring on the platform's biggest crane, camera pans back to MLS of man talking to camera. CUs of men using hydraulic jacks to raise the crane. WS of Forties, camera pans in to flair stack. CU of flair tips. MLS of man talking to camera. GVs of men working. WS of pump station on land. GVs of men working. 04:47:36 WS Hound Point, Firth of Forth. HA of tanker terminal. GVs of men working and testing. MS of satellite. Shots of men in control rooms restarting the system. LA CAs of fire spewing out of pump at night. LA of platform restarting at night. Silhouette of men climbing stairs with fire in BG. Two men looking out of window on platform. 04:49:27 Man giving lecture on maintenance. GVs of men carrying out maintenance work. CU of gauge. Man talking to camera. 04:50:41 Second man giving maintenance lecture. 04:51:16 GVs of workers using computers. Men in discussion around a table. MS man from AGM Operations reading at desk. 04:52:44 Helicopter approaching platform carrying flair tip. Aerial shot of helicopter unloading flair tip onto platform. LA of helicopter above platform. The men detach the flair tip from the helicopter. MS AGM Operations man at desk reading. CU of platform legs in sea, camera pans back to whole shot of platform. CU looking towards sea from in-between platform legs. WS of platform. Shot of sea with platform on horizon. Credits. BP shield logo. 04:54:39 END.