Bridges in Holland
Bridges in Holland
- Release Date: 1st January 1969
- Asset ID: 800814
- Synopsis: Music only, no narration. A travelogue about Holland and the Dutch peoples' genius in building a network of communication across their watery land. The film is lyrical in feeling, depicting the Dutch scene in summer and winter; in the peace of the countryside and the bustle of Europe's biggest port. Throughout the film we glimpse the linking span of a massive new bridge being floated upriver to where it will finally span the Beneden Meswede River. Good footage of every kind of bridge (cantilever, suspension, etc) in action, as it were.
- Shotlist: 10:20:19 Opening titles, b/w stills of drawings of bridges and archive footage of gentlemen in top hats opening several bridges, then walking across. 10:21:50 Colour footage of bridges, driving across numerous bridges from different angles POV passenger and from the rear, trains and other cars, bikes and vehicles on bridges both large and small. Off road motorcycles. 10:23:12 Bridges in every kind of situation, in tiny villages and forests and in large cities. Great shot of three movable bridges descending in tandem. 10:23:55 Enormous bridge segment glides over and through various landscapes - excellent. Includes a tight fit under another bridge. 10:24:43 Movable bridges - opening or closing from several close shots, from on the bridge itself, from above. Gears and other components in motion, including unusual single plank of wood bridge. 10:25:45 Various foot and vehicle traffic over a bridge at Muiden, then taking apart a small country bridge in winter with a massive crane, cutting torch, and the entire village watching. 10:26:47 Scrap metal montage - the bridge segment from earlier goes gliding past, then through more urban montage. The tug boats underneath that are pulling the bridge, from the water. 10:27:35 Long shot of a man hosing his barge, other ships and barges moving along the water, including a BP Holland boat. Intercut with footage of people on the bridges, looking at the water, and boats going under bridges. 10:28:38 Blinking amber or yellow light,very dark footage of bridges and barriers at night. Bridge keeper working the spotlight on the water. He returns to his desk and examines stamps. A train goes by in the spotlight. 10:30:16 The big piece of bridge is still heading up the river - aerial shot as it moves through an industrial area, possibly past a refinery. Back underneath the bridge - lots of river traffic. A close shot of a small boat among the waves caused by an off shore jacket being towed, then a wide shot of the jacket with tugs. Bystanders watching. 10:31:18 Hanging laundry on a boat passing under the Zeeland Bridge, in the cabin of the boat. Traffic on the bridge. Slow moving ferry in winter, motorcycle passengers on the ferry are cold, other boats, ferry completes crossing. Child makes snow pig. 10:32:38 Man fishing on still lake, boys in trunks jump off bridge, small boats on canal, moving along the canal and people on the bank. Boats and kayak squeeze under small bridges. Toll is collected by a shoe on a fishing line. 10:33:59 Farmers wrangling with a small bridge, child paddling on old door, older man walking along plank of wood, more summer boat scenes and small bridges. Very short bridges and prams. Goats and sheep crossing a bridge, garden gnomes. 10:35:05 The bridges over the grachten in Amsterdam, a tour boat. Life in Amsterdam as seen from the river. The Muiden rotating bridge in motion, other rotating bridges. Bicycles and a train using bridges. 10:36:44 Looking overhead as a train passes under a steel bridge, from the back of a car (through hanging garments) as driver and passenger chat, POV driver crossing a bridge, following a blue car cross the bridge and exit. 10:37:21 Bridge under construction, shot from the water. POV driver of train moving very quickly over a bridge, then overhead. Driver speeding along over bridge. 10:37:57 Big piece of bridge, still moving, then it appears in place at the Beneden Merwede River. Opening ceremony of the complete bridge, with police marching band, the boat traffic lining up to go under, and a cycle race. End titles.
- Production Company: None
- Licensing Restrictions: None
- Viewing Restrictions: Public
- Format: BetaSP_Small
- Alternative Language Notes: None