Chariots in the Sun
Chariots in the Sun
- Release Date: 1st January 1981
- Asset ID: 803378
- Synopsis: A Castrol Film about the 1981 Acropolis Rally in Greece.
- Shotlist: 00:01:00:00 - Starts. The Acropolis Rally. LS of small rowing boat in bay, aerial of car driving through countryside, GVs of houses, trees, women hoeing, castle tower, mountains and fields, tractor - peaceful scenes - intercut with rally cars skidding round a track. LS of tall rock formation with house perched on top, pans down to rally car speeding past in foreground, Castrol written all over it. 80s power guitar music. 00:04:08:00 - evening, drivers tending to their cars, fiddling with the engines. Titles. Greece: Various shots of leisure activity: woman swimming, man windsurfing, rally cars parked by beach. Man (maybe Malcolm Wilson) playing table tennis (without table) with bikini-clad girl. He will drive a Rothmans Escort in the rally. Anders Kullang being interviewed. Hannu Mikkola reading magazine. Mikkola being interviewed, GVs of his Audi Quattro heading into the pitstop in the dark. A co-driver (Kikavaki?) playing with his baby, his driver, Marco Allen kicking a football and striding past in red swimming shorts. Marco Allen by his car, being interviewed about the race and conditions. Yvonne Mehta with partner husband Shekhar Mehta, we see her looking at a notebook. The Datsun team pull their car in for a pitstop. I/V with English driver. David Richards playing with his kid, he partners Ari Vatanen for the Rothmans team, GVs of their pitstop. I/V with Ari Vatanen. Preparations for the race: the drivers have their photos taken with fans. Various I/Vs with drivers. Rothmans teams in their cars radioing each other. Cars are flagged to their starting positions. Cars on the move, lots of Castrol branding. The end of day 1: I/Vs with various drivers (Michelle Mouton and others), Mikkola getting agitated. 2nd day: Cars head back south towards Athens, Mikkola in lead. Cars head through town, policeman keeping spectators out of the way. Pitstop GVs. Fast-edited montage: man with worry beads, woman sweeping path, goats, spectators, etc, and then rally car speeding along the route. I/V with Mikkola. Audi are excluded for a technical infringement, and at the start of the final leg, Vatanen leads. Race GVs. Hundreds of spectators in Athens, the winners get their bouquets on the podium. 00:30:11:00 - Finish. A Castrol Film.
- Production Company: United Motion Pictures Production
- Licensing Restrictions: Please note that this film may include footage and/or music sourced from multiple rights holders. For information on re-use of content in a new production, please contact BPVL@bp.com
- Viewing Restrictions: Public
- Format: BetaSP_Small
- Alternative Language Notes: None