- Release Date: 1st January 1967
- Asset ID: 803349
- Synopsis: Travelogue with an Australian driving a Chrysler Valiant Safari, taking a tourist's look at Europe in a journey from Greece, through Italy, Switzerland and France to England.
- Shotlist: 00:01:09 low angle shot of trees. Titles: 'Valiant Journey - A Castrol Film - Produced with the co-operation of ' - CU of sign outside factory reading 'Chrysler Australia, Ltd'. The film starts in the Australian Chrysler Corporation factory, with various shots of the Valiant production line. Finished car coming through carwash and being polished by two men before being driven off. 00:02:27 various shots of Athens in Greece, the Acropolis, tourists wandering about ruins, city street scenes, traffic, boats in yacht harbour near Perius, rural and village scenes, villagers with donkeys, church bell tower, amphitheatre, coastline, sunset or sunrise. Valiant drives onto ferry. 00:04:53 glass-blowers in workshop at Venice, Italy. Display of glass goods in shop. Gondoliers taking tourists on boat trips. Rialto Bridge, tourists wandering about, more gondolas and goods boats. St Mark's Basilica, Doge's Palace. Valiant driving along dusty road. Rural scenes, woman washing clothes in river, man with horses, hillside houses, grapes growing on the vine, vineyard workers. Shots of women washing clothes in river and carrying baskets of washing on head. Oxon pulling hay cart along road. Wool being washed, sorted and spun; finished knitted baby jacket. 00:08:17 beautiful GVs of Sorrento coast and the Isle of Capri, hotels, fishing boats on beach, tourists, cafe, narrow streets, bread baskets being carried on heads. Colourful flowers and blossoms. Valiant parked near Vesuvius volcano. Pompeii ruins, tourists wandering around. Fountains at Tivoli Gardens. 00:10:50 Swiss Alps, cars moving along St Gotthard Pass into Switzerland. Tourists walking over bridge, waterfall. Valiant driving along winding road into Lucerne. Street scenes, Reuss River, swan preening. Lakeside town of Zurich, tourists on boats, street scenes, traffic. Mountain scenes on the road towards Loire in France. 00:13:32 POV shot from Valiant as we drive towards the Chambord estate. GVs of the chateau and grounds, people wandering around the house. Picturesque town of Chenonceaux. Various shots of Le Mans 24 Hour Sports Car race, crowds, start of the race, cars racing by. Cut to jokey POV shots from Valiant driving through Paris. 00:15:16 Valiant parked beside the Eiffel Tower, tilt up to show Tower (not to top). GV from window as we travel up the tower in a lift. Various views from Tower. Arc de Triumph and traffic. Cut to POV from Valiant driving through countryside in the rain. Sunny rural scenes. 00:17:04 London scenes, Big Ben and Westminster Bridge, Valiant driving past Piccadilly Circus, Eros statue, people walking down steps to tube, double decker bus passes Valiant going round Trafalgar Square, twin girls feeding pigeons. Horseguards. Crowds outside Buckingham Palace, open coach comes out, zoom in to Queen Mother, Princess Margaret, Anthony Armstrong-Jones and two young boys, one of which is probably David, Viscount Linley, the other could be Prince Andrew or Prince Edward. Queen Elizabeth in ceremonial dress rides past on horse - probably Trooping the Colour. Fighter jets (Red Arrows?) fly in formation overhead. 00:18:17 crazy rotating shot of Portobello Road street sign. Market scenes. Two men in red jumpers playing banjo and guitar, man carrying two small monkeys and parrot for people to have their picture taken with. 00:19:10 pigs in the countryside, farmers at work at harvest time. Harbour at Plymouth Hoe, statue of Sir Francis Drake. Seaside village of Fowey in Cornwall, street scenes. Valiant boarding and driving off Looe car ferry. Fisherman mending net on harbour. Valiant at Land's End in Cornwall, famous signpost and lighthouse seen beyond. Man puts distance to Melbourne on signpost. End titles: Photographed by Lloyd Buchanan, Edited by John Richardson & Peter Cleaver, Commentary by Wilfrid Thomas, Produced Lloyd Buchanan Studios, Melbourne-Australia for Castrol. 00:21:23 end.
- Production Company: Lloyd Buchanan Studios, Melbourne-Australia for Castrol.
- Licensing Restrictions: Please note that this film may include footage and/or music sourced from multiple rights holders. For information on re-use of content in a new production, please contact BPVL@bp.com
- Viewing Restrictions: Public
- Format: BetaSP_Small
- Alternative Language Notes: None