Winning The Safari Rally
Winning The Safari Rally
- Release Date: 1st January 1977
- Asset ID: 803344
- Synopsis: Short film about the Safari Rally 1977 in Kenya showing each different stage of the rally, the preparation for it and various shots of the Kenyan landscape.
- Shotlist: 00:01:11 Opening titles: 'Castrol Motor Oil Champion Spark Plugs Present - Winning The Safari Rally' over aerial shot of car driving in the desert. 00:01:27 'The Event'. Various shots showing preparations for rally, crowds at starting point, mechanics working on cars, cars driving around dusty bush course. Title: 'The Place'. Montage showing wildlife, villages, city, flowers, markets, tourists, East African airline plane landing, Kenyan flag. 00:05:45 'The Players'. Montage of shots of different rallyers talking and driving. Various dissolve shots of drivers Prem Choda and his wife Pauru, Joginder Singh and Jim Noone (sp?) checking their cars and driving while we hear them talking about taking part. 00:09:11 'The Preparation'. Various shots of cars being prepared for race. Cars racing along dusty course. Cars lined up around starting point, crowds watching preparations. Bjorn Waldeguard is seen driving. 00:12:07 'The Rally: First Leg'. Start of rally, cars drive off from city centre, watched by crowds. Map shows route. Good shots from inside cars as they drive along. Cattle crossing road in front of car. Cars trying to cross rivers in Kitui. More than half of the cars are out of the rally due to the rising rivers. More rally shots, African family look on. 00:18:02 'The Rally: Second Leg'. Good POV shot from car as we drive along winding road. Shekha Mehta and Mike Doughty's car with bonnet up for repairs. Zuli Rentula (sp?) zooming along. Drivers on a drink break, Andrew Cowan and Johnstone Syer's car is seen. Hans Schuller and Ernie Kleinze / Kleins (sp?), Joginder Singh, Howard Lawrence Brown are seen. Car crossing fast-moving river. 00:21:39 'The Rally: Third Leg'. Cars racing over dusty terrain, small crowds watch from the roads. 'The Winners'. Crowds wait for the first cars to arrive back in city, cars cross finish line, some in quite bad condition. Drivers sit on car roofs and are cheered. Jim Noone wins 1300 cc class. Joginder Singh wins main rally for the third time. Evening footage of Singh and others being presented with trophies at black tie event. 'The Future'. Wildlife, village, quiet road and city scenes, aerial view of Kenya from aircraft. Final shot shows car zooming over dusty land towards camera. End credits. Produced by Walter J Klein Company, Ltd.
- Production Company: Walter J Klein Company Ltd
- Licensing Restrictions: Please note that this film may include footage and/or music sourced from multiple rights holders. For information on re-use of content in a new production, please contact BPVL@bp.com
- Viewing Restrictions: Public
- Format: BetaSP_Small
- Alternative Language Notes: None