- TITLE: Castrol Archive Showreel (Commercials)
- RELEASE DATE: 01/01/1970
- SYNOPSIS: A good collection of Castrol adverts from various countries and decades (1960s & 1970s).
- BP ASSET ID: 803332
- VIEWING RESTRICTIONS: Public
- LICENSING RESTRICTIONS: Please note that this film may include footage and/or music sourced from multiple rights holders. For information on re-use of content in a new production, please contact BPVL@bp.com
- PRODUCTION COMPANY: None
- COLOUR: Colour
- ALTERNATIVE LANGUAGE NOTES: None
- FORMAT: BetaSP_Small
- SHOTLIST: 1: Thai or Vietnamese (?) ad: man in car, traffic, driving along freeway. 2: Dutch? Man in service station, lady Castrol attendant puts oil in the car, which turns into a flash red car. Man zooms off but comes back for the Castrol oil. 3: Girl leaning against car, sniffing flower. Man drives by, gives her a 'come-on' look. She leaps into her car and drives past him, hitching. She throws him Castrol bottle. 4: Two men in car, hear noise, discuss. C/Us of engine parts moving and making noises, they look at engine. 'Castrol GTX It's the Engine's Protector'. 5: Cars bunny-hopping and turning over, van being pushed by nuns, smoking engine. Castrol poured into engine, car drives off with shoes and cans attached (wedding). 'The Engine Protector'. 6: B/W Portuguese. Lab, engine turning over. Front of car, drawing of car part, car at garage, Castrol oil poured in. 7: B/W Singapore. Refinery, Castrol tins being filled and packed by young man in t-shirt. Seems to be cuts. Drums being weighed. Man talks about machinery and changeover to metric, stockholding. 8: B/W Castrol being poured into engine. Various shots of plane, motorcycle and racing cars at rallies. 9: POV rally driver going round course, mute. 10: Fish in sea, Yamaha outboard motor on boat, motorboats at sea, groovy music, US v/o. 11: Yamaha motorcycles. Cartoon boy, shots of rally driving, animation, bikes riding through traffic and in countryside. 12: 'Mr Jones' man putting Castrol oil in car, posing with can, watched by neighbour. 13: 'Mr Collier' - Morris Minor, Bentley Continental cars. 14: "Weightlifter" - Sportsman - weight-lifter, 'Castrol, put heart in your car'. 15: Castrol New Formula - KoldStart Test Vimteren 1965-66 (Scandinavian?). Street scenes, snow scenes, cars go by. Castrol XL. People wrapped up against cold - thermometer. Cars in dark, snowy area. Start up. Driving through snowy scenes. Engines being lifted out from cars. Car parts laid out, very clean and shiny. Men working on parts at benches. Traffic street scenes. End title 'Slutt'. 16: Quick shots of petrol stations, cars, petrol promo signs, glasses, cash registers. Clips from 1971 film 'Diamonds Are Forever' to tie in with promo James Bond glasses (look like normal tumblers). Tagline '007 Licensed to Fill' (groan). 17: Oil can history, old cans and archive clips. 18: 'Oil change' - man changing oil under car, woman brings out hot drink. Traffic, driving, towing caravan. 19: Brazil. Girl, red sports car, breaks down. Moustachioed men drive by but don't stop. Driver says something to chauffeur who is sitting in back seat covered with Castrol cans. 20: Canada 1899, archive footage. Charles Wakefield, speed records. Castrol Super GTX. 21: Same in French. 22: B/W Ecuador. Groovy Latin music over kaleidoscopic effects and image of Steve McQueen-type man, 'El Rebelde' (not sure if he is actual person, rally driver? Or just a type to aspire to?) Castrol oil being poured out of can. Rally driver in car. 23: Motorcycles being prepared in desert area, driving off over dusty plains, 60s music. 24: Boat driver. Cstrol being poured into engine. 'Preferido por los Conocedores'.