- TITLE: Pattern of the Year (1958). BP enters its fiftieth year.
- RELEASE DATE: 01/01/1958
- SYNOPSIS: A review of the Company's year, including: Sir Vivian Fuch's crossing of Antarctica, Vivian Fuchs arriving at the premiere of Antarctic Crossing and talking to Lord Shackleton, Peter Scott and Donald Campbell, Campbell's trials on Lake Coniston, the record bid with Bluebird and the near completion of BP House.
- BP ASSET ID: 800731
- VIEWING RESTRICTIONS: Public
- LICENSING RESTRICTIONS: None
- PRODUCTION COMPANY: None
- COLOUR: Colour
- ALTERNATIVE LANGUAGE NOTES: None
- FORMAT: BetaSP_Small
- SHOTLIST: 00:34:46 Caption 'Pattern of the Year' and explanatory note over shots of an office building. WS of a boardroom. CU pan around the table. CU of a door with sign 'Sir Neville Gass'. WSs of the first crossing of Antarctica led by Dr Vivien Fuchs. WS men watching drilling barge Adma Enterprise leaving harbour at Das Island in the Persian Gulf. MLS of men watching the barge. Aerial shots of barge at sea. 00:36:15 WS remains of Popton Fort on the shores of Milford Haven. Pan inside fort. GVs of construction work on site to turn it into deep water tanker terminal - digger dumping soil on truck. WS of jetty. Construction work on jetty. WS pan across roof being laid. GVs of controlled explosions at site being prepared for new refinery in Montreal. GVs of bulldozer digging up soil. 00:37:13 WSs ship at Harwich Dock. GVs of men guiding huge BP towers off ship. WS of towers being transported by rail to Kent. 00:37:56 Cartoon about salesman. 00:38:16 WS ship Clyde Crusader at Swansea dock with first load of crude oil from Nigeria to reach the UK. MS Nigerian High Commissioner, Mr. Mbu (sp?) and other distinguished Nigerians in discussion with representatives from the UK with ship in BG. WS men walk up to ship to perform ceremony. 2S of Nigerian men watching. WS High Commissioner with guests on ship. WS he turns on the valve with the ship's captain. WS crowd looking on. CU High Commissioner turning on valve. 00:39:02 CUs of tanker, British Duchess. MLS Duchess of Gloucester waiting to launching tanker. WS of crowd. WS Duchess with crowd in BG. HA WS of crowd. WS of crowd with CU of ship leaving. HA CU of tanker leaving. WS crowd with Duchess at front watching from undercover stand. WS tanker enters sea. 00:40:17 HA WS jetty at Loch Long, camera pans R to steel base of tanker terminal at Finnart. CUs of bases with men inside. WS GVs of construction work. WS over lock with terminal in FG. 00:40:47 WS British Faith tanker arrives at the harbour. CU of the tanker with MS of man waving. CU the tanker with three men on it. WS tanker in harbour with snow-capped mountains in BG. 00:41:00 Graphics of new colours for BP with updated BP shield logo. 00:41:29 B&w WS Odeon, Leicester Sq, London. WS Sir Vivien Fuchs gets out of car for premiere of Antarctic Crossing, BP's film record of his great journey. People walking to premiere. Sir Vivien talking to Lord Shackleton and Peter Scott. Donald Campbell talking with guests. WS Campbell trying out Bluebird's engine on Lake Coniston before his attempt at the world water speed record, with crowd in BG. GVs of BP racing service. WS Campbell speeding across lake with man in FG viewing through telescope. WS of the speed boat. WS of a man watching through telescope. CU time-keepers. Campbell smoking cigarette standing next to two men, having broken record. 00:42:35 Trav aerial shot over forest in Papua. WSs men from Papua. WS derrick being raised. MLS man operating machine controlling the derrick. CU of derrick mid-air. HA WS of Papua men looking upwards. LA WS of derrick almost at full height. WS two Papua men sitting next to tanks. MS man operating machine. WS pan up derrick. 00:43:27 HA WS of derrick in mountains. LA WS of derrick at Valence in Rhone Valley. CU of man getting hold of drill bit high up in derrick. HA shot looking towards ground from within derrick. LA WS BP House. WS BP house under construction. WS BP House. CU of BP House, camera pans across to sign and to bomb site. WS of derelict site. CUs of newspapers. 00:44:41 WS men enter boardroom and tidy up. Caption 'The End' over WS of building at dusk. BP shield logo. 00:45:04 END.