- TITLE: The Twilight Zone
- RELEASE DATE: 01/01/1982
- SYNOPSIS: A Castrol Film from the 1982 Swedish Rally.
- BP ASSET ID: 803434
- VIEWING RESTRICTIONS: Public
- LICENSING RESTRICTIONS: Please note that this film may include footage and/or music sourced from multiple rights holders. For information on re-use of content in a new production, please contact BPVL@bp.com
- PRODUCTION COMPANY: BHP Productions
- COLOUR: Colour
- ALTERNATIVE LANGUAGE NOTES: None
- FORMAT: BetaSP_Small
- SHOTLIST: 00:01:05 Starts. Sweden - a land of ice and midnight sun, known as 'The Twilight Zone'. GVs of Audis (Audi Quattros) racing through the snow in the dark. This is the setting for the 1982 Swedish Rally. We see preparations for the race, witness the harshness of the conditions, and meet some of the drivers taking part. Hannu Mikkola - a name legendary in rally driving and his co-driver, Arne Hertz. Interview with Mikkola. GVs of engineers working on car in factory. Press taking photos. Mikkola tests out Audi's four wheel drive Quattro in the snow. Michelle Mouton talks about the problems facing women drivers. I/V with Stig Blomqvist. GVs of drivers practicing the rally route. The Audi team face strong competition, particularly from world champion Ari Vatanen. The rally starts: the drivers must face a thousand miles of snow and ice. Vatanen drives an Escort with co-driver Terry Harriman. A lighthearted moment when a German driver, Walter Rohrl, fails to get off his starting block properly. Fans and spectators congregate along the road. I/V with Anders Kullang, who is not driving this year. General GVs of the race: Mikkola speeds past, with Vatanen second. Michelle Mouton has been slowed by a spin, snow sprays everywhere. Bjorn Johannessen, a Swedish driver, is doing well. Montage of lots of drivers cornering at speed. Darkness falls. The cars return for a break at the end of the first run, with Mikkola in the lead. Then the start of the second leg. Blomqvist claws his way to third place. As the rally enters its final night, Audi's total domination seems secure - a wheel has fallen off Vatanen's car pushing him back to fourth. (GVs of fixing wheel). Concerned Audi personnel wait at the end of the penultimate special stage - Mikkola is late, and Blomqvist arrives first. Mikkola and Mouton have both crashed, we see Mouton bring her battered car in from the cold. Lots of bustling about the pit-stop. Mikkola finally arrives and speaks about his crash. Lots of shots of Mikkola in his car looking disappointed. Final positions: 1st: Stig Blomqvist, Audi Quattro; 2nd: Ari Vatanen, Ford Escort; 3rd: Walter Rohrl, Opel Ascona 400. Both Stig Blomqvist and Ari Vatanen used Castrol. Credits.