- TITLE: Pioneers of Progress (part 2)
- RELEASE DATE: 01/01/1955
- SYNOPSIS: This is the second part in a two part series about Mercedes re-introducing their racing team to Formula 1 for the first time in 15 years.
- BP ASSET ID: 803405
- VIEWING RESTRICTIONS: Public
- LICENSING RESTRICTIONS: None
- PRODUCTION COMPANY: None
- COLOUR: B&W
- ALTERNATIVE LANGUAGE NOTES: None
- FORMAT: BetaSP_Small
- SHOTLIST: The races include drivers such as Jose Froilan Gonzalez, Stirling Moss, Mike Hawthorne, Juan Manuel Fangio and Alberto Ascari. Footage includes GVs of a race in Switzerland including commentary. The film also compares a car and truck engine and then compares this to the distance between Stuttgart and Frankfurt and an ocean liner amongst others, slightly confusing. It shows the production line at Mercedes with GVs of the factory processes - commentary throughout. The film also shows the new pioneering design of the cars that has been introduced to both race and road cars including a diagram of axel design on road cars compared to race car axels and how it has been the inspiration for a new road car axel, and new light weight frames. It also shows the Mercedes racing team in Milan for the Grand Prix at Monza. GVs of Milan with footage around race ground - showing Mercedes race team preparing for the Grand Prix, race footage and commentary (Fangio and Mercedes wins). Footage of Fangio at the workshops of Daimler Benz. There are two more races on the film firstly the final Grand Prix in Barcelona. This includes footage of the journey from Stuttgart to Barcelona along with GVs of Barcelona, race track and grounds where Fangio becomes Formula 1 World Champion 1954. And finally shows Mercedes racing in Berlin with GVs of the city and race footage at track. All races have commentary.