- Release Date: 1st January 1953
- Asset ID: 803379
- Synopsis: 3,000 miles in four days and two nights at breakneck speed over some of the toughest motoring country in the world-this is the 28th East Africa's Coronation Safari. This series of races started in 1953 and is commentated by Nevil Lloyd and Peter Garnier. A Castrol Film.
- Shotlist: Note: item is mute - visuals only, no soundtrack. 00:01:10 LS of African wildlife - zebras, gazelles, a bird making a noise. Lions, hunting zebras, flamingos flying out of a lake - title. CU of waterfall from above, then LS of it with nice foliage, pink and yellow flowers. Giraffes. 'Native tribesmen' with headdress etc. Aerial of traffic, traffic warden. Nairobi, capital of Kenya, GVs of town, street scenes, church, various buildings. Nairobi on the map, showing the rally route. Starting line of the race, GVs of spectators, cars move off their blocks. Race GVs: cars kicking up dust, Coca Cola sign, car goes through gully - driven by Ronnie Adams. POV of car: giraffe running out of the way and alongside the car, and crossing the road in front of it. Cattle in the road, owned by Masai tribesmen, moving out of the way. Car rounds a corner and crashes in a cloud of dust. LS of battered car and its passengers, other cars drive past looking at them, Kenyan person also looking on. Mosquito river control: lots of spectators sitting on top of and inside a van, here the cars fill up. Battered car drives in to fill up. More racing GVs. 'Drive with care' sign. Game reserve sign, GVs of giraffes. Compulsory inspection of cars for Tsetse flies, sign asking for drivers to stop for inspection. Control procedure GVs, drivers getting their stamps. More racing GVs. Spectators at control, women with lemonade, police keeping order. LS of cars racing with forest and river in background. GV of man at control. Mary Wright fixing her car and Dar Es Salaam. Women carrying baskets and bananas on their heads. A car broken by the road conditions. Locomotive type train crossing rally track. Spectators cheering drivers on, flags waving. Signpost at crossroads. The race is now in Uganda - GVs of houses and spectators. Race GVs. Sheep and goats on the track. Racing GVs. Busy signpost. - drivers fill up and fix their cars. Finish line in Nairobi. African drummers. Kenyan people cycling, herding sheep.
- Production Company: None
- Licensing Restrictions: Please note that this film may include footage and/or music sourced from multiple rights holders. For information on re-use of content in a new production, please contact BPVL@bp.com
- Viewing Restrictions: Public
- Format: BetaSP_Small
- Alternative Language Notes: None