- Release Date: 1st January 1974
- Asset ID: 800476
- Synopsis: 1974 version charting the history of Abu Dhabi.
- Shotlist: 18:30:50 START. Film opens with a young baby eating a biscuit, Credits ‘Abu Dhabi’ a BP Film, shot of desert sand dunes / erg, we see Bedouin of the Bani Yas tribe from the Liwa Oasis, family groups with camels. 18:32:32 Aerials of Abu Dhabi Island, traditional buildings made from local materials, Fortified Palace, Sheikh Shakhbut Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, shots of boats on the beach, fishing dhow, animals and women washing clothes in the sea. 18:33:54 Bedouin in the market, fish and vegetables being sold, nomadic Bedouin in the desert at an oasis, camels being fed, men eating meat and rice, tents being packed up. Bedouin move off across desert. Two groups greeting in the desert. 18:37:33 Oasis shot, Vehicle moves across desert sand dunes, aerials of Abu Dhabi town, 1953 concession to explore offshore off Abu Dhabi, 18:38:27 B&W underwater shots (Jacques Cousteau from film ‘Station 307’), Aerials of Das Island, ship disgorges tracked construction vehicles; tractors, cranes. 18:39:45 First platform, CU derrick and drill floor, CU rotary table, swivel, travelling block. Facilities at Das, ground flare. 18:40:16 British Willow at Das Island in 1962, first oil from Abu Dhabi, offshore wells, moss tanks. Archaeology, deer carving on stone, museum. Cuts to Bedouin in Desert drinking coffee, Market and Bakery in town, Palace. 18:42:10 Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the development plan for Abu Dhabi is discussed to shots of the town. Goods brought ashore, Harbour is built large construction machines at work, roads, piling work, Sheikh looks on, bridge being built that will connect island with mainland, house construction. 18:44:44 New houses. 18:45:07 Doctors and Nurses in hospital, ships in harbour, quayside. British airways aircraft at the new airport, aircraft takes off, the new town. Experimental farm, aerials and interiors of greenhouses of the Arid Lands research centre at Saadiyat (Sadiyat) island. 18:48:22 Supermarket, Catholic Church, dingy on the beach, sailing, tennis. Abu Dhabi Hilton. 18:49:19 Call to prayer, Mosque, praying. Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan at a daily audience. 18:50:35 Women dancing. Bedouin celebration, Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan joins celebration, camel race, boat rowing race. Sheikh Zayed inspects troops, Crest of the United Arab Emirates, council at meeting. Sheikh Zayed arrives by helicopter to inspect Das Island new liquefied natural gas plant (4th December 1973). Speeches and plaque unveiling. 18:53:53 Market shots, aerials of the old and new Abu Dhabi, children at a new school. Transformation through education. 18:55:20 Credits. 18:56:00 ENDS.
- Production Company: None
- Licensing Restrictions: None
- Viewing Restrictions: Public
- Format: BetaSP_Small
- Alternative Language Notes: None